From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds <at> osdl.org>
Subject: Re: sysctl
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel
Date: Wednesday 18th October 2006 18:31:10 UTC (over 10 years ago)
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Albert Cahalan wrote:

> I guess the sysctl question has been answered then,
> especially since random normal apps use sysctl.

I have yet to find a _single_ app that really uses sysctl, actually. Can
you name one?

There's apparently some library functions that has used it in the past,
and I've seen a few effects of that:

	warning: process `wish' used the removed sysctl system call

but the users all had fallback positions, so I don't think anything
actually broke.

(The situation may be different with older libraries, which is why it's
still an option to compile in sysctl. None of the machines I had access
to cared at all, though).

		Linus

CD: 3ms