From: Johannes Weiner <hannes <at> cmpxchg.org>
Subject: [rfc patch 0/6] mm: memcg naturalization
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel
Date: Thursday 12th May 2011 14:53:52 UTC (over 5 years ago)
Hi!

Here is a patch series that is a result of the memcg discussions on
LSF (memcg-aware global reclaim, global lru removal, struct
page_cgroup reduction, soft limit implementation) and the recent
feature discussions on linux-mm.

The long-term idea is to have memcgs no longer bolted to the side of
the mm code, but integrate it as much as possible such that there is a
native understanding of containers, and that the traditional !memcg
setup is just a singular group.  This series is an approach in that
direction.

It is a rather early snapshot, WIP, barely tested etc., but I wanted
to get your opinions before further pursuing it.  It is also part of
my counter-argument to the proposals of adding memcg-reclaim-related
user interfaces at this point in time, so I wanted to push this out
the door before things are merged into .40.

The patches are quite big, I am still looking for things to factor and
split out, sorry for this.  Documentation is on its way as well ;)

#1 and #2 are boring preparational work.  #3 makes traditional reclaim
in vmscan.c memcg-aware, which is a prerequisite for both removal of
the global lru in #5 and the way I reimplemented soft limit reclaim in
#6.

The diffstat so far looks like this:

 include/linux/memcontrol.h  |   84 +++--
 include/linux/mm_inline.h   |   15 +-
 include/linux/mmzone.h      |   10 +-
 include/linux/page_cgroup.h |   35 --
 include/linux/swap.h        |    4 -
 mm/memcontrol.c             |  860
 mm/page_alloc.c             |    2 +-
 mm/page_cgroup.c            |   39 +--
 mm/swap.c                   |   20 +-
 mm/vmscan.c                 |  273 +++++++--------

It is based on .39-rc7 because of the memcg churn in -mm, but I'll
rebase it in the near future.

Discuss!

	Hannes