From: Dave Chinner <david <at> fromorbit.com>
Subject: vfs: inode lock breakup
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel
Date: Tuesday 22nd March 2011 11:23:35 UTC (over 5 years ago)
Hi Al,

The following patches are the inode_lock breakup series originally
derived from Nick Piggin's vfs-scale tree. I've kind of been sitting
on them until the dcache_lock breakup and rcu path-walk has had some
time to be shaken out. The patch ѕet is pretty much unchanged from
the last round of review last last year - all I've done to bring it
up to date is forward port it and run it through some testing on XFS
and ext4.

I know it's late in the .39 merge window, but I hope you'll consider
it if the patches are still acceptable(*). Otherwise I'm happy to take
the time to get it right for .40.

Cheers,

Dave.

(*) The series can also be found here:

  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/dgc/xfsdev.git
inode-scale

Dave Chinner (8):
      fs: protect inode->i_state with inode->i_lock
      fs: factor inode disposal
      fs: Lock the inode LRU list separately
      fs: remove inode_lock from iput_final and prune_icache
      fs: move i_sb_list out from under inode_lock
      fs: move i_wb_list out from under inode_lock
      fs: rename inode_lock to inode_hash_lock
      fs: pull inode->i_lock up out of writeback_single_inode

 Documentation/filesystems/Locking |    2 +-
 Documentation/filesystems/porting |   16 +-
 Documentation/filesystems/vfs.txt |    2 +-
 fs/block_dev.c                    |    6 +-
 fs/buffer.c                       |    2 +-
 fs/drop_caches.c                  |   18 +-
 fs/fs-writeback.c                 |  141 ++++++++-----
 fs/inode.c                        |  416
+++++++++++++++++++++----------------
 fs/internal.h                     |    7 +
 fs/logfs/inode.c                  |    2 +-
 fs/notify/inode_mark.c            |   42 +++--
 fs/notify/mark.c                  |    1 -
 fs/notify/vfsmount_mark.c         |    1 -
 fs/ntfs/inode.c                   |    4 +-
 fs/quota/dquot.c                  |   41 ++--
 include/linux/fs.h                |    2 +-
 include/linux/quotaops.h          |    2 +-
 include/linux/writeback.h         |    2 +-
 mm/backing-dev.c                  |    8 +-
 mm/filemap.c                      |   10 +-
 mm/rmap.c                         |    5 +-