From: Lennart Poettering <mzxreary <at> 0pointer.de>
Subject: Re: [RFC/RFT PATCH v3] sched: automated per tty task groups
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel
Date: Tuesday 16th November 2010 18:16:03 UTC (over 5 years ago)
On Tue, 16.11.10 09:11, Linus Torvalds ([email protected])
wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Lennart Poettering
>  wrote:
> >
> > Binding something like this to TTYs is just backwards.
>
> Numbers talk, bullshit walks.
>
> The numbers have been quoted. The clear interactive behavior has been
seen.

Here's my super-complex patch btw, to achieve exactly the same thing
from userspace without involving any kernel or systemd patching and
kernel-side logic. Simply edit your own ~/.bashrc and add this to the end:

  if [ "$PS1" ] ; then
          mkdir -m 0700 /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu/user/$$
          echo $$ > /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu/user/$$/tasks
  fi

Then, as the superuser do this:

  mount -t cgroup cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu -o cpu
  mkdir -m 0777 /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu/user

Done. Same effect. However: not crazy.

I am not sure I myself will find the time to prep some 'numbers' for
you. They'd be the same as with the kernel patch anyway. But I am sure
somebody else will do it for you...

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.