From: Kyle Moffett <Kyle.D.Moffett <at> boeing.com>
Subject: [RFC] Support for unidirectional ethernet links
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel
Date: Friday 27th August 2010 19:42:16 UTC (over 6 years ago)
Hello,

I'm in the process of dusting off some old unidirectional fiber link
patches as part of support for a new custom hardware chassis.

Specifically, a critical piece of the hardware is unidirectional fiber
connections between independent computers, with data transmission
performed using UDP to a static ARP entry.

These first 2 RFC patches provide support for off-the-shelf gigabit
sky2 boards.  I also have another fairly trivial patch to "ethtool"
which enables it to configure the new ethtool values.

If these patches are acceptable, I'm going to polish up and refine a
more invasive series which cleans up and extends some of the PHY
ethtool handling to allow PHYs to handle the unidirectional modes in
a driver-specific way.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett