From: Larry Finger <Larry.Finger-tQ5ms3gMjBLk1uMJSBkQmQ <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: RFC: Regulatory info in mac80211
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general
Date: Tuesday 5th June 2007 20:51:51 UTC (over 10 years ago)
Given the recent discussions of regulatory/geographic domain compliance (or
lack thereof) in
mac80211, and the fact that the software is mainlined in 2.6.22, it seems a
good time to start
planning for full implementation of regulatory information in mac80211.

Roughly a year ago, I worked on such a scheme for ieee80211, but put the
project on hold when I
learned that ieee80211 and ieee80211_softmac, which is used by my driver of
interest, would be
replaced by mac80211. The project was far from complete; however, a number
of individuals responded
to my RFC's and suggested the following (the netdev archives should contain
the E-mails):

1. The regulatory information is too dynamic to be placed in the kernel.

2. The regulatory database should be in an ASCII file for easy updating.
This database should be
read by a userspace daemon that reformats the information and supplies it
to mac80211 upon demand.

3. There should be some sort of checking to verify that the database has
not been hacked to modify
transmission power, etc. in an illegal manner. Obviously, no foolproof
means of enforcing this does
not exist; however, we should prevent the crudest form of modifications.

4. The database should incorporate the parameters needed for 802.11a,
802.11b/g/n, 802.11d, and 802.11h.

5. There should be a scheme for translating country codes based on the
outdated table 105 in
Corrigendum 1 for 802.11b. This is the basis for the EEPROM data in the
ZD1211 hardware. Note, this
scheme is far too limited to be the only one available. If the translation
code is needed for more
than one driver, it should be placed in mac80211.

6. In case of errors such as the user daemon not running, database
corruption, an illegal region
code from the driver, etc., mac80211 should set a default set of parameters
that are legal
everywhere, and log a suitable error message.

7. ??

To begin such an undertaking, the following steps need to be done:

1. Decide what information is required. These data include, but are not
limited to, the band, the
maximum E.I.R.P. in dBm, whether the data are for indoors/outdoors/both, an
indication regarding the
use of active vs passive scans, allowed protocols, etc. I don't know enough
about 802.11h to know
what data will be required.

2. Accumulate the necessary regulatory data for the world. I found a source
for such information.
Although its price (2500 euro) was a significant problem, the NDA that went
with it was a show
stopper. The diversity of regulations is much greater than I expected.
Although, I had only
collected data on roughly half the countries in the ISO 3166 country codes,
I had found 12 distinct
sets of rules for the 2.4 GHz band and 17 sets in the 5 GHz bands, without
any 802.11h information.

3. Decide on how to store this information within mac80211.

4. Decide on the structure of the ASCII database and the means of
communication between the daemon
and the kernel.

5. Prepare the data file and code the userspace and kernel components.

6. Other....

I welcome your comments.

Larry

CD: 3ms