From: Greg KH <gregkh <at> linuxfoundation.org>
Subject: Proposed stable release changes
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel.stable
Date: Tuesday 20th August 2013 22:40:32 UTC (over 3 years ago)
Hi all,

Given that I had to just revert a patch in the recent stable releases
that didn't get enough time to "bake" in Linus's tree (or in -next), I
figured it was worth discussing some possible changes with how "fast" I
pick up patches for stable releases.

So, how about this proposal:

- I will wait for a -rc to come out with the patch in it before putting
  it into a stable release, unless:
	- the maintainer ACKs it, or sends it directly (like DaveM does
	  for networking patches)
	- I have seen enough discussion about a patch to show that it
	  really does fix something / is good / doesn't cause problems.
	- obviously safe, i.e. "add a device id" type thing.

Given that we have -rc releases every week, except for the initial -rc1
release, I don't think this will really cause any major delays.

Also, now that we are about to head into my busy "travel season", odds
are, I'll be at least a week behind anyway, so this would probably start
happening without an "official" change.  It's been a boring summer, I've
been able to keep up with the stable stuff really easily, causing
problems like this :)

Objections?  Comments?

thanks,

greg k-h