From: Stephan Peijnik <stephan <at> peijnik.at>
Subject: LSM stacking/secondary modules / RFC: Socket MAC LSM
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel.lsm
Date: Tuesday 13th January 2009 17:59:06 UTC (over 8 years ago)
Hello,

I have just been trying to investigate why LSM stacking/secondary
modules are gone nowadays. Unfortunately I did not find anything in the
kernel ChangeLogs that would indicate why this has happened.

Well, now, after about two hours of (unsuccessful) research on this
topic I am turning to you and hope this is the right place.

So, could someone tell me why this functionality has been removed and
whether there are plans on adding it (or something similar) again?

The reason I am asking is that I am working on some sort of Socket MAC
LSM, or at least I was planning to.

The module would expose an interface for hooking socket-related calls
from other LSMs whilst exposing only the most basic information that
would be needed for making decisions (read: PIDs and sockaddr structs)
and only accepting two responses from callback functions: allow or deny.

The plan would be to allow LKMs to use this interface for making
decisions on whether a certain process is allowed to create a specific
type of socket and use connect(), bind() and friends on it. Basically an
interface for creating "personal firewalls".

Feedback on this idea is also highly appreciated.

-- Stephan