From: Greg KH <greg <at> kroah.com>
Subject: Re: [malware-list] [RFC 0/5] [TALPA] Intro to a linuxinterfaceforon access scanning
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel.lsm
Date: Tuesday 5th August 2008 20:18:16 UTC (over 9 years ago)
On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 02:38:23PM -0400, Press, Jonathan wrote:
> >> I think you might be missing the point a bit here, as the traditional
> Unix model that
> >> Linux has prevents much of what the "traditional AV" products need to
> do, right?
>
> Is your point that Linux and Unix machines are less vulnerable to
> viruses?  If so, that's not relevant to my point at all.  A Unix machine
> can be a carrier, passing infections on to other vulnerable platforms
> (guess which one).

So you are going to try to force us to take something into the Linux
kernel due to the security inadiquacies of a totally different operating
system?  You might want to rethink that argument :)

> An enterprise security system sees the entire enterprise as an
> integrated whole -- not just individual machines with their own
> separate attributes and no impact on each other at all.

I agree, but as others have pointed out, you don't need to do this in
the kernel, you can do it from userspace today (samba has hooks for this
for that "other" operating system already).

thanks,

greg k-h