From: Kris van Rens <krisvanrens.list <at> gmail.com>
Subject: Way to monitor IP address change?...
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel.kernelnewbies
Date: Sunday 13th April 2008 10:14:34 UTC (over 9 years ago)
Hi there,

Is there a way to monitor IP-address changes without using polling? In
other words; is there some kind of event mechanism in the Linux kernel
with which I could implement this more elegantly?

From user space I can use all kinds of scripting methods to monitor
the IP-address of a certain interface or build a program that
constantly polls for IP-addresses.

I have a network device driver that provides a network interface, and
a test application that sends packets to this network interface. But
suppose I change the IP-address of this interface; what would be the
best way for the test application to monitor/get hold of this change?

Thanks in advance!

-Kris