From: Christoph Hellwig <hch <at> infradead.org>
Subject: Re: RFC: Crypto API User-interface
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel.cryptoapi
Date: Tuesday 7th September 2010 14:06:46 UTC (over 7 years ago)
On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 04:42:13PM +0800, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Hi:
>
> This is what I am proposing for the Crypto API user-interface.

Can you explain why we would ever want a userspace interface to it?

doing crypto in kernel for userspace consumers sis simply insane.
It's computational intensive code which has no business in kernel space
unless absolutely required (e.g. for kernel consumers).  In addition
to that adding the context switch overhead and address space transitions
is god awfull too.

This all very much sounds like someone had far too much crack.

CD: 3ms