From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds <at> linux-foundation.org>
Subject: Re: Renice X for cpu schedulers
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel.ck
Date: Friday 20th April 2007 01:27:41 UTC (over 10 years ago)
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007, Ed Tomlinson wrote:

> > SD just doesn't do nearly as good as the stock scheduler, or CFS, here.
> >
> > I'm quite likely one of the few single-CPU/non-HT testers of this
stuff.
> > If it should ever get more widely used I think we'd hear a lot more
complaints.

> amd64 UP here.  SD with several makes running works just fine.

The thing is, it probably depends *heavily* on just how much work the X
server ends up doing. Fast video hardware? The X server doesn't need to
busy-wait much. Not a lot of eye-candy? The X server is likely fast enough
even with a slower card that it still gets sufficient CPU time and isn't
getting dinged by any balancing. DRI vs non-DRI? Which window manager
(maybe some of the user-visible lags come from there..) etc etc.

Anyway, I'd ask people to look a bit at the current *regressions* instead
of spending all their time on something that won't even be merged before
2.6.21 is released, and we thus have some mroe pressing issues. Please?

			Linus

CD: 45ms