From: Jeff Garzik <jeff <at> garzik.org>
Subject: Re: [RFT] major libata update
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.ide
Date: Monday 15th May 2006 23:49:38 UTC (over 11 years ago)
Tejun Heo wrote:
> Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> Tomasz Torcz wrote:
>>>
>>>   Any plans to merge http://home-tj.org/wiki/index.php/Sil_m15w
? Or
>>> maybe it's merged already?
>>>   Seagate firmware update seems to be available only for OEMs, so this
>>> quirk is pretty helpful for end users.
>>
>> Its a question of staging.  This still lives in the 'sii-m15w' branch
>> of libata-dev.git, but if we throw too many _classes_ of changes into
>> the same big lump, then it becomes much more difficult to discern
>> which changes caused which failures.
>>
>> Since sata_sil has seen several changes, and since the sii-m15w
>> problems are so difficult to diagnose properly, its easier to separate
>> that out.
>
> Are you planning on merging sil_m15w workaround?

Yes, but after 2.6.18.

> FYI, from the first time it was submitted (last summer) till 2.6.16, it
> took very little effort to maintain it.  The current big update would
> necessitate some changes to it but I don't think it will be too much
> work.  My experience says m15w doesn't add too much maintenance overhead.

Its actively maintained in the 'sii-m15w' branch of libata-dev.git.

> Also, what's the merge plan for hotplug/PM?  Together into 2.6.18?  Or
> are we looking further down?

Hotplug is reasonable for 2.6.18, but after that its getting a bit much.
  We need to have some reasonable testing points in the midst of all
this development :)  I'm happy to maintain an upstream-2.6.19 branch for
such things, though.  I use tiered branches anyway.

	Jeff

-