From: Kay Sievers <kay <at> vrfy.org>
Subject: The future of the udev source tree
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.hotplug.devel
Date: Tuesday 3rd April 2012 16:15:13 UTC (over 4 years ago)
We are about to merge the udev sources into the systemd source tree.
After that, the next version of systemd will continue with udev’s
version numbering, i.e. jump immediately from 45 to 184.

After udev is merged into the systemd tree you can still build it for
usage outside of systemd systems, and we will support these builds
officially. In fact, we will be supporting this for a long time since
it is a necessity to make initrds (which lack systemd) work properly.
Distributions not wishing to adopt systemd can build udev pretty much
the same way as before, however should then use the systemd tarball
instead of the udev tarball and package only what is necessary of the
resulting build.

Today, ‘Init’ needs to be fully hotplug-capable; udev device
management and knowledge about device lifecycles is an integral part
of systemd and not an isolated logic. Due to this, and to minimize our
administrative workload, as well as to minimize duplication of code,
and to resolve cyclic build dependencies in the core OS, we have
decided to merge the two projects.

The udev built from the systemd source tree will stay compatible with
non-systemd init systems for a long time. This change is mostly a
detail of the build scheme, rather than a change of direction or
interfaces. Accordingly, the libudev API is untouched by these build
infrastructure changes. For us, compatibility is key.