From: Robin H. Johnson <robbat2 <at> gentoo.org>
Subject: Re: Council meeting: Tuesday 2013-11-12, 19:00 UTC
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.gentoo.project
Date: Thursday 7th November 2013 06:01:20 UTC (over 3 years ago)
On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 08:58:36PM -0800, "PaweĊ‚ Hajdan, Jr." wrote:

> >> There isn't any reference for this one, who's spear-heading it; as
infra
> >> I'd like to know. We do have the raw emails for the archive, what's
> >> broken is strictly the web interface.
> >
> > I am, and the only available reference is the announcement itself, see
the
> > paragraph at the top about missing references :).
> >
> > My only intention for this topic so far is to ask my council colleagues
for
> > their opinion on a general statement like "archives.gentoo.org
functionality
> > was useful, and it would be nice to have our own online, definitive
archive of
> > the more important mailing lists back working again at some point in
the
> > future".
> Curious: does anyone have any doubts about usefulness of archives.g.o?
>
> Then, do you know what actually broke? It's really surprising to me
> since it seems that hardly anything changes there.
We used a custom template in mhonarc to generate a variant of
Guide/ProjectXML from the emails. Along with that template, there was
some custom code to ensure we generated consistent IDs even if the prior
mhonarc listing was damaged; so that a link to an email once it was
posted would always be consistent.

The parts above we still have... what we don't have, is some fixes that
allowed mhonarc to scale to the crazy number of emails we were putting
into the archive. It's default was generating an entire new index and
each message again, every time it was run. We hacked incremental support
onto there, that was lost.

Along with the rest of Gentoo that is moving away from Guide/ProjectXML;
archives need to move to the future, but it needs to be something
scalable. The archive of raw email itself exceeds 20GiB in size; more
than 75% of which should probably be public (the remaining fraction is
stuff like core/trustees/council etc).

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     : robbat2@gentoo.org