From: Rich Freeman <rich0 <at> gentoo.org>
Subject: Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-05-14
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.gentoo.project
Date: Wednesday 1st May 2013 17:35:25 UTC (over 4 years ago)
On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 1:30 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
 wrote:
> On Wed, 01 May 2013 10:27:27 -0700
> Zac Medico  wrote:
>> > It's necessary, and the way to convince developers is to stop
>> > providing a nasty hack as a not-really-working alternative.
>>
>> As downstream packagers, do we or can we really expect to have that
>> much influence of upstream developers? If the big binary distros are
>> willing to package these things without complaints, then how likely
>> is it that upstream developers will change their ways?
>
> Big binary distros already deal with this problem...

Well, if you only support one version of every library and change them
all in lockstep a few times a year, then this becomes a complete
non-issue.  However, if you're going to do that then a big part of the
value that Gentoo creates is lost.

Honestly, this seems a bit like hurting our users so that developers
feel sorry for them and jump through hoops.  We might as well threaten
to kill kittens anytime the bug wrangler list goes over a certain
threshold, or a GLSA stays open too long.

Sure, I'd prefer a perfect world to a better world, but I'm not going
to get a perfect world, so I'd prefer a better world to the one I live
in today.

Rich

CD: 2ms