Home
Reading
Searching
Subscribe
Sponsors
Statistics
Posting
Contact
Spam
Lists
Links
About
Hosting
Filtering
Features Download
Marketing
Archives
FAQ
Blog
 
Gmane
From: William Hubbs <williamh <at> gentoo.org>
Subject: Re: Council meeting: Tuesday 11 November 2012, 19:00 UTC
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.gentoo.project
Date: Thursday 8th November 2012 18:53:48 UTC (over 4 years ago)
On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 07:15:57PM +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> On 08-11-2012 11:45:48 -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
> > >    - approve/disapprove removal of gen_usr_ldscript
> > 
> > A better way to put this is disabling gen_usr_ldscript on Linux.
> > Some of the alternate platforms still use it, so I do not advocate
> > killing the function.
> > If we go forward with the plan, there is no reason the council should
> > reject disabling gen_usr_ldscript on Linux that I am aware of.
> > 
> > This also has to wait until the blockers are resolved on the tracker.
> 
> Do you suggest to drop the point from the agenda?  I'd love that.
 
I believe we can drop the gen_usr_ldscript question, yes, because if
everything else happens, we can just have the toolchain guys make it a
noop on Linux.

> > >    - define timeframe
> > >      * 30 days
> > >      * 6 months
> > >      * 1 year
> >  
> > Once the blockers are done and we release a news item, implementing
> > one of the choices is a matter of emerging a package, possibly running
a
> > command (genkernel with the appropriate options) and updating your boot
> > loader configuration before your next reboot.
> > 
> > Considering that we are holding back stabilizations of more and more
> > packages the longer we wait, is it really a good idea to extend the
time
> > frame to 6 months or a year?
> 
> Yes.  I don't think it is reasonable to have a very short timeframe for
> having to make such a potentially dangerous change.

I agree that this is a potentially dangerous change. However, I don't think
it
is reasonable for us to penalize stable users by making them wait a year
for
newer software because we are waiting to make sure that those who have
a separate mount for /usr make a change that we can't make for them
automatically.

I would be ok with going a little longer than 30 days, but 6 months or
a year might be a bit extreme.

I guess I'm just thinking that no matter how long we wait, there is
going to be someone out there who isn't going to follow our directions.

William
 
CD: 3ms