From: =?UTF-8?B?TWljaGHFgiBHw7Nybnk=?= <mgorny <at> gentoo.org>
Subject: Re: Gentoo Council 2012/2013 election
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.gentoo.project
Date: Saturday 9th June 2012 18:02:29 UTC (over 4 years ago)
On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 20:59:21 +0100
Markos Chandras  wrote:

> I would like to nominate the following people (grab a pen):
>
> mgorny

I think I will have the necessary time this year, so I accept.

My manifest follows:

There are three things I believe in when it comes to Gentoo:

1) The KISS principle. I believe that we should try hard at least not
to make things overcomplicated. Even better, we should find the things
that are too complex now, and try to make them simpler. Sometimes that
requires sacrifices.

For example, I believe that packing too much features into an eclass is
a bad idea. If a particular feature is to be used by two or three
packages, it's usually better to just put that in the ebuilds itself
rather than adding a bunch of code to eclass used by 100 other packages.

2) That users are more important than developers. Although in Gentoo
that line is quite blurry, let's be honest: without users, what would
we need developers for? I believe we should first think about making
things more friendly to users, then about making them easier for devs.
Not the other way around.

Example: we should try to split packages whenever possible rather than
abusing USE flags. User not having to rebuild a large package just to
enable a tiny GUI counterpart is a real benefit, even if it means that
the developer will have to maintain two packages rather than one.

3) That history should not stand in the way of improvement. I'm not
saying that keeping something as-is is bad. I'm just saying that
'historical reasons' are no argument, and we should be ready to
reconsider past decisions and improve, if that could benefit either
users or developers.

And I hope the git migration will have its place in this year's Council
tasks.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny