From: Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi <at> st.com>
Subject: gcc4.1.1 upgrade with Duncan's flags
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.gentoo.amd64
Date: Monday 25th September 2006 15:44:10 UTC (over 10 years ago)
Upgrade to gcc4.1.1 went alright here with Duncan's suggested flags,
only two packages failed:

- libquicktime, due to syntax error in "configure" in a line related to
vorbis, I have worked around it by removing the line but not had time
yet to file a proper bug. I had this problem also with gcc3.4.6 so I'm
sure it's not related to gcc optimizations.

- seamonkey, due to syntax error in a source file. This is quite
peculiar since I had already compiled the sources with gcc3.4.6 without
problems. I did not investigate much because I wanted to remove the
package anyway and use only Gnome native applications (that was before I
discovered 'native' applications require seamonkey or mozilla or
firefox...)

I am running amd64 (on an Athlon64 3000+) with very few ~amd64 packages.
First impression confirm Duncan's enthusiastic reports.

But, for the first time in my linux life I had a kernel oops ("unable to
allocate memory page" or something like that) running
mplayer/mplayer-bin/totem with kernel 2.6.17-gentoo-r8 compiled with
gcc4.1.1 Problem disappeared after I rebooted into 2.6.17-gentoo-r4
compiled with gcc3.4.6, and did not appear again when I rebooted again
into 2.6.17-gentoo-r8 compiled with gcc4.1.1, so I need more testing.

Thanks to all for the great discussion on compiler optimizations.

raf