From: Ian Schram <ischram <at> telenet.be>
Subject: Questions raised when reading the (3945) code.
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.drivers.ipw3945.devel
Date: Sunday 30th September 2007 16:30:58 UTC (over 9 years ago)
As might have been apparent by my previous patches, I've reread the iwl3945
code,
in the hopes of understanding more than last time. While doing that I came
across
several items, the ones (I thought) were obvious I have sent patches for.
These
are the ones that remain:

1) iwl-hw.h: some comments are >80 columns, but they don't easily scale
down

2) in iwl3945-base.c en iwl-4965-base.c
this comment:
	/* We received data from the HW, so stop the watchdog */
appears to be lost, it has been there since the first checkin, but the line
it was
originally above was removed. And I can't track down what it might mean in
that
position.

3) in iwl_set_rate()
iwl_get_hw_mode() is not followed by a null check, in contrast to all it's
other
invocations. Seeing as a call to iwl_set_rxon_channel() which is invoked by
mac80211 callback. immediately changes the priv->phymode this might cause
problems?
although changing phymode probably doesn't occur to often.

and some lesser issues:
4) iwl_check_rxon_cmd ends with a curious sequence of if(error)

5) for iwl_fill_probe_req() is never called with is_direct!=0
and hence some code paths will never be taken

6) Documentation indicates that CSR_INT_BIT_RF_KILL can never be set for
3945
so maybe the check should be removed from the 3945 irq tasklet. I doubt it
will
provide noticeable performance gain even though it's a pretty hot codepath.

7) there are several invocations of cpu_to_le16() with constants, where in
other
places __constant_cpu_to_le16() is used. I didn't change this because I've
been
thought never to use __functions when not absolutely very sure.