From: Ian Schram <ischram <at> telenet.be>
Subject: Questions raised when reading the (3945) code.
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.drivers.ipw3945.devel
Date: Sunday 30th September 2007 16:30:58 UTC (over 10 years ago)
As might have been apparent by my previous patches, I've reread the iwl3945
code,
in the hopes of understanding more than last time. While doing that I came
across
several items, the ones (I thought) were obvious I have sent patches for.
These
are the ones that remain:

1) iwl-hw.h: some comments are >80 columns, but they don't easily scale
down

2) in iwl3945-base.c en iwl-4965-base.c
this comment:
	/* We received data from the HW, so stop the watchdog */
appears to be lost, it has been there since the first checkin, but the line
it was
originally above was removed. And I can't track down what it might mean in
that
position.

3) in iwl_set_rate()
iwl_get_hw_mode() is not followed by a null check, in contrast to all it's
other
invocations. Seeing as a call to iwl_set_rxon_channel() which is invoked by
mac80211 callback. immediately changes the priv->phymode this might cause
problems?
although changing phymode probably doesn't occur to often.

and some lesser issues:
4) iwl_check_rxon_cmd ends with a curious sequence of if(error)

5) for iwl_fill_probe_req() is never called with is_direct!=0
and hence some code paths will never be taken

6) Documentation indicates that CSR_INT_BIT_RF_KILL can never be set for
3945
so maybe the check should be removed from the 3945 irq tasklet. I doubt it
will
provide noticeable performance gain even though it's a pretty hot codepath.

7) there are several invocations of cpu_to_le16() with constants, where in
other
places __constant_cpu_to_le16() is used. I didn't change this because I've
been
thought never to use __functions when not absolutely very sure.