From: Elias Oltmanns <eo-oA28OIkTjSVZXbeN9DUtxg <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Updated disk-protect patch
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.drivers.hdaps.devel
Date: Friday 5th October 2007 15:56:02 UTC (over 9 years ago)
Hi all,

Stephan Berberig has brought to my attention a problem with the
disk-protect patch when applied to 2.6.22. Thanks to his help I now made
the
necessary changes to the patch in order to make auto detection of the
unload feature work again with 2.6.22. Unfortunately, I only have one of
those old disks that don't announce the unload feature as specified in
ATA-7. So, thanks go to Stephan for his assistance with analysing the
problem and testing patches.

And for those of you who are interested I'll attach the patch for
2.6.23-rc9 as well which required some further minor changes.

As for the project of merging this patch upstream, I regret to say that
this will most likely take some time yet. The problem is that the
current interface is far from optimal for various reasons. In
particular, the protect_method attribute is not in the right place is
this is about an ATA specific feature. I have to discuss this with
mainline developers and I just haven't got the time right now. So,
please bare with me.

Regards,

Elias

--- Applies to 2.6.22.9: ---