From: Thierry Reding <thierry.reding-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: ARM topic: Is DT on ARM the solution, or is there something better?
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.drivers.devicetree
Date: Monday 21st October 2013 10:41:13 UTC (over 3 years ago)
On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 11:30:14AM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 12:24:49PM +0200, Thierry Reding wrote:
> > Multi-driver with DRM has worked pretty well for Tegra. Essentially
what
> > I created was a sort of abstraction layer between DRM and the
individual
> > drivers so that each driver can register itself with that layer. Once
it
> > has been determined that all drivers have been probed, that glue layer
> > can load the DRM driver and call back into the sub-drivers to register
> > their respective components with DRM.
> >
> > That even works fairly nicely with deferred probing. Note that the code
> > currently in Linus' tree has some issues, but I've reworked it since in
> > linux-next and the final result isn't all that bad. I've even attempted
> > to make it somewhat generic so that it could potentially be reused by
> > other drivers. It's not reusable as-is, but perhaps it can be further
> > improved.
> >
> > I agree that hotpluggability within DRM might have made things easier,
> > but it would likely also have made the core more complex. Furthermore
> > there simply was no need for DRM to provide that kind of flexibility,
> > simple because no driver has had that need so far. Quite a few ARM SoC
> > drivers have appeared lately, and hopefully that'll provide more of an
> > incentive to evolve DRM as needed, but I don't think we can hold it
> > against anyone that they haven't provided us with the ideal subsystem.
>
> Right, so how do you feel about rewriting it again so that everyone
> can benefit from it instead of it being specific to just Tegra? :)

You are surely aware that by general concensus the responsibility for a
generic implementation falls to the third person to reimplement it from
scratch, which in this case wasn't me for a change... =)

But seriously, I have that somewhere on my TODO list, it's just not top
priority at the moment. I'm also not familiar with what the requirements
are for other SoCs, so I don't have much of an idea what specific areas
require rework.

Thierry

CD: 18ms