From: David Woodhouse <dwmw2-wEGCiKHe2LqWVfeAwA7xHQ <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: [Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ATTEND] Handling of devicetree bindings
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.drivers.devicetree
Date: Monday 15th July 2013 18:50:27 UTC (over 4 years ago)
On Mon, 2013-07-15 at 09:56 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> How about a hint for subsystem maintainers as to what exactly we should
> be looking for with these bindings?  I for one have no idea what is
> "right" vs. "wrong" with them, so a document explaining this would be
> good to have.
>
> Or if we already have it, a pointer to it perhaps?

The biggest thing is that it should describe the *hardware*, in a
fashion which is completely OS-agnostic.

The same device-tree binding should work for Solaris, *BSD, Windows,
eCos, and everything else.

I've heard tales of people having to keep device-tree files for their
board tightly in sync with the specific *version* of the Linux kernel
that they were shipped with.

That makes me very sad, because it almost certainly means that someone
has done it completely and utterly wrong.

         Intel Corporation

CD: 3ms