From: Stefan Fiedler <stefan.fiedler-9geRo0GdX4mN3Udf9U4gAQ <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: The ROCK Linux Mission Statement, revisited
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.distributions.rock.devel
Date: Sunday 4th June 2006 01:35:17 UTC (over 11 years ago)
Hi all,

today I've added my version of the mission statement at
http://www.rocklinux.org/wiki/Mission_Statement
, together with a first
proposal of some "Standard Test Procedures".

As usual, I'd welcome your critique and comments, so here's the whole page
from the link above:

On Chemnitzer Linux Tage 2006 we agreed on a Mission Statement - after 10
years of ROCK, we felt it's about time ;).

* We are a Distribution Build Kit
* We test and guarantee functionality of:
** the basic packages
** Crystal ROCK (as a testcase)
* We gladly host the remaining packages, but don't guarantee anything
** no duplicate packages are allowed, though
* We do Source Releases regularly (for Distribution Builders)
* We do Crystal ROCK Binary Releases if we see fit
* We issue Security Advisories and maintain Errata-Documents
* We try to keep trunk as stable as Source Releases, but can't guarantee
it.

 Feel free to suggest a textual interpretation of these points if you like!

Edit: here's my interpretation, comments and improvements are welcome:

* ROCK Linux is a Distribution Build Kit.
* We as the ROCK Linux core developers test and try to ensure functionality
of
** the framework, tools and basic packages, and
** the Bootdisk and Crystal ROCK Targets (as a test- and show-case).
* We also update the basic packages to follow their on-going development.
* We gladly host other packages and targets as well, but don't guarantee
anything.
** No duplicate packages are allowed, though.
* We do stable Source Releases regularly (for Distribution Builders).
* We do Crystal ROCK and other Binary Releases as we see fit.
* We issue Security Advisories and maintain Errata Documents.
* We try to keep trunk as stable as Source Releases, but can't guarantee
it.

As we try to keep trunk stable, all changes to core parts that may have
side-effects undergo the following tests. Changes that introduce obvious
errors have to be fixed before they can be applied.
* The changes are used in one bootdisk and one Crystal build (with default
settings for expert options).
* The resulting ISO image must be bootable and suited for local
installation
of the Crystal build.
* Configuration tasks provided by the setup tool (stone) should work as
expected.
* The installed or updated system is booted, and tested run-time. Special
attention is paid to basic system software, such as:
** early userspace (initial ramdisk)
** login, user and group management
** automated hardware detection and hotplugging
** the X11 server, runlevel 5 login, overall GUI usability

With best regards,
	Stefan Fiedler

CD: 3ms