From: Ruben F. Quintero <rfq <at> andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: ALSA not working on buildroot 1161
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.distributions.gumstix.general
Date: Wednesday 28th March 2007 05:15:08 UTC (over 10 years ago)
Hello,

We're using buildroot version 1161, and are having trouble getting ALSA
sound to work. For our project, we need to use native ALSA, but running
aplay throws the following error:

ALSA lib pcm.c:2099:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
aplay: main:547: audio open error: No such file or directory

Running it with the -l parameter gives:

ALSA lib control.c:817:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL hw:0
aplay: device_list:231: control open (0): No such file or directory
aplay: conf.c: 3108: snd_config_update_free: Assertion `update->count > 0
&& update->finfo' failed.
Aborted

We've been reading through the threads and noticed that some people have
gotten ALSA to work, but we've been unable to do so ourselves. The card is
detected in the /proc/asound/ folder, here's the output:

# cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [UCB1400        ]: pxa2xx-ac97 - UCB1400
                      pxa2xx-ac97 (Philips UCB1400)
# cat /proc/asound/devices
  0: [ 0]   : control
 16: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
 24: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
 33:        : timer
# cat /proc/asound/pcm
00-00: PXA2xx-PCM :  : playback 1 : capture 1

Still, it seems that alsa-lib is not installing correctly (the folder
usr/share/alsa which Craig mentioned does not exist).

Any thoughts? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Ruben

your