From: John Gilmore <gnu-r+Tv4kcVSiE <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: Package Lists and Configuration
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.debian.freedombox.user
Date: Wednesday 6th February 2013 20:31:42 UTC (over 4 years ago)
> I don't think concealing your IP address would protect you against
> rocket attacks. As far as I know, there are two ways to locate a
> satellite phone that have nothing to do with its IP address. The first
> is radio triangulation. The second is the GPS location that the phone
> transmits when it connects to the satellite.

I have heard from people who ought to know, that a popular satellite
phone protocol actually *broadcasts* the reported/calculated location
of each phone, in plaintext beacons from the satellite that anyone who
tunes to the right frequency can receive.  I wonder what sort of NSA
influence was used in designing *that* protocol.

If you care about location privacy, don't use a satphone.  Or hack
your phone deeply, to report a false location, perhaps one that
belongs to your enemies.

	John Gilmore

CD: 3ms