From: Stefano Zacchiroli <leader <at> debian.org>
Subject: trademark policy draft
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.debian.devel.project
Date: Tuesday 31st July 2012 16:07:17 UTC (over 4 years ago)
If you've ever stumbled upon http://www.debian.org/trademark
, you might
be aware that, as a project, we've been working on a proper trademark
policy since quite a while.

I'm happy to attach a first complete draft of such a policy, and I'm
looking for comment on it.

The ideal goal is reaching consensus on some version of the policy
document and then ask SPI (as the trademark owner) to ratify it as the
trademark policy associated to Debian trademarks.

A few notes that might be helpful in going through the text:

- we've asked for advice in producing a policy that is "as free as
  possible", but still capable of defending Debian identity, which is
  what trademark protection is about (a nice read on the matter is [1],
  with early/ancient thoughts by Mako on the matter)

- it should be compatible with the result of our past discussions [2] on
  how to handle trademarks in the Debian archive in general

[1]: http://wiki.mako.cc/TrademarkFreedom
[2]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2012/02/msg00073.html

- there is a potential exception to the "as free as possible" principle,
  though, in the following provision:

    You can also make merchandise with DEBIAN trademarks for commercial
    usage provided that, in addition to following the guidelines listed
    below, you truthfully advertise to customers which part of the
    selling price will be donated to the DEBIAN project.

  I've proposed the above, mainly as a thought experiment on how to
  solve a problem that I think we have with many offerings of Debian
  merchandise out there, including our some of our conference booths. I
  think the principle contained therein is a sane one, but I understand
  that it will limit usage of Debian trademarks, stepping out of mere
  identity integrity.

  I'd like to hear opinions on this provision. I'd personally have no
  problem if people prefer to take it back. As a middle ground, we might
  demote the "provided that" to a "you should", which have no binding
  force, but helps in conveying the message that we appreciate clarity
  on where the money goes, when selling something with "Debian" on it.

- the part on the logo is currently bogus, as we haven't trademarked our
  logos, yet. SPI lawyers recommend that we do so, which is why I'm
  sharing the policy text about it: in case we eventually decide to do
  so.

Acknowledgements

Many thanks for their help in preparing this draft goes to SPI's lawyers
at SFLC (in particular: Mishi Choudhary) and to Benjamin Mako Hill.

Comments welcome,
Cheers.