From: Russ Allbery <rra <at> debian.org>
Subject: Re: let's split the systemd binary package
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.debian.devel.general
Date: Thursday 24th October 2013 22:35:43 UTC (over 4 years ago)
Roger Lynn  writes:

> How often is the choice of default desktop re-evaluated, and how is this
> done?

We have an argument about it at least once every release cycle.  One of
the problems with the recurring argument is that we don't have a good
decision-making criteria.  Another problem is that the discussion is
generally held among Debian developers here, and very few people reading
this mailing list would feel at all constrained by the default selection
in the installer.  So it's one of those decisions that is made by people
outside of the target audience for the results of the decision, which is
always tricky.

For example, I use Xfce and have ever since GNOME stopped supporting the
video card on my previous laptop, although I probably should have switched
to KDE when I switched laptops just to keep trying the different
environments.  But nearly the only programs I run in X are xterm, Emacs,
Pidgin, and Iceweasel, I turn off most of the features of any desktop
environment, and I never ever use file browsers, so relying on my opinion
to choose the default desktop environment for average users is a bit like
asking a gourmet chef what brand of microwave to buy.

--
Russ Allbery ([email protected])               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

CD: 3ms