From: Steve Langasek <vorlon <at> debian.org>
Subject: Re: (seemingly) declinging bug report numbers
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.debian.devel.general
Date: Thursday 11th October 2012 18:26:39 UTC (over 4 years ago)
On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 05:29:51PM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> This might be your impression.  It does not at all match my impression.

> Quite a few upstreams thinks Debian are working contrary to their design
> and their goals and are actively hindering adoption of their software.
> If you're interested in examples, just take a look at how rubygems was
> handled in Debian until wheezy and all the silliness around node.js and
> /usr/bin/node.

When, as in the case of node.js, upstream is antisocial and has an
overinflated sense of self-importance, it's perfectly appropriate for
Debian
to work contrary to their design.  Our job is not to make upstreams happy,
it's to make our *users* happy; and while being good Free Software citizens
means we try to respect the wishes of upstreams as well, there are
exceptions.

[email protected]                                     [email protected]

CD: 30ms