From: Steve Langasek <vorlon <at> debian.org>
Subject: Re: Re: On init in Debian
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.debian.devel.general
Date: Friday 23rd March 2012 16:30:07 UTC (over 5 years ago)
On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 10:56:49AM +0100, Fabian Greffrath wrote:
> >Please let's not forget that this is not about systemd: we have not even
> >started yet the flame war to decide if we should use systemd or upstart.

> Well, In find the overall reception of systemd in upstream projects
> and the current state of upstart in Debian quite convincing.

The current state of upstart in Debian is a reflection of the upstart
maintainers' respect for Debian and desire to not destabilize the
distribution by triggering an avalanche of package conversions that could
quickly take us past the point of no return for bit rot of our init
scripts.
If there's a consensus in Debian that we should just push it in and Damn
The
Ports, well, we could certainly do that.

Alternatively, instead of thousands of words being wasted in this thread,
interested DDs could help with finalizing the Policy change for how upstart
jobs should coexist with sysvinit scripts on the system.

> Even OpenSUSE who were about to switch to upstart cut the corner and go
> with systemd now.

Whereas there's no indication that RHEL is switching away from upstart.
I'm
not sure why Debian should regard OpenSUSE as an opinion leader when
picking
its core technologies.  Or am I the only one who remembers YaST?

[email protected]                                     [email protected]

CD: 3ms