From: Stephan Seitz <stse+debian <at> fsing.rootsland.net>
Subject: Re: network-manager as default? No!
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.debian.devel.general
Date: Wednesday 13th April 2011 09:39:26 UTC (over 5 years ago)
On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 11:11:27AM +0200, sean finney wrote:
>Did i miss the part where somebody explained what the user benefit of
>having network-manager on a server was? (apart from "then it's the same
>as your desktop[1]", anyway).

I don’t even know why NM should be on a normal desktop.
My first (and last) contact with NM was not a good one. I was doing
a remote upgrade of a desktop and suddenly the system was unreachable.
After a reboot it worked, but shortly the system was unreachable again.
Then I noticed that the default gateway was missing. The desktop didn’t
have a configured eth0, but two configured vlan interfaces. NM thought,
hey let’s configure eth0, and tried to configure eth0 via DHCP and
deleted the default gateway. Since then, the first thing I do is to
disable this crap. Besides I don’t have any desktop with WLAN interface.

So ifupdown is more than enough to configure the network.

Some people say that NM is good with WLAN. Maybe. Since I don’t touch NM
again, I always used ifupdown and wpasupplicant with success. But
I rarely use WLAN. If NM is really good with WLAN it should only be part
of the laptop task and never touch cable networks.

The only thing that I miss from ifupdown (and I configured bonds, bridges
and vlans) is a good IPv6 support. I can’t separately activate or
deactivate IPv4 or IPv6 parts of an interface.

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz             E-Mail: [email protected] |
| PGP Public Keys: http://fsing.rootsland.net/~stse/pgp.html

CD: 3ms