From: Lucas Nussbaum <leader <at> debian.org>
Subject: bits from the DPL -- September 2013
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.debian.devel.announce
Date: Wednesday 9th October 2013 05:58:25 UTC (over 3 years ago)
Hi,

Here is my monthly report for September 2013 (+ the beginning of October).
Let's also use this opportunity to call for help on two key parts of our
infrastructure.

Outline:
--------
- Call for help: dak developers
- Call for help: debbugs developers
- Outreach Program for Women
- Interview & talk
- Assets
- DPL Helpers and DPL TO-DO list

Call for help: dak developers
=============================

dak (Debian Archive Kit) is the software suite behind the Debian archive.
It receives and processes packages uploads, manages all the meta-data
about packages, and generates the Packages and Sources files that contain
the list of packages.
There are several ideas of improvements floating around that would greatly
improve Debian (e.g.; source-only or binary-throw-away uploads to increase
trust in packages one downloads, developer repositories[1] to untangle
transitions from unstable to testing), but unfortunately the FTP team
members are busy people.
dak is written in Python. Its source is available at [2], and local setup
instructions are in [3]. Give it a try! If you have questions, direct them
to the debian-dak@ mailing list[4].

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2013/05/msg00131.html
[2] http://ftp-master.debian.org/git/dak.git/
[3] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=mirror/dak.git;a=tree;f=setup
[4] https://lists.debian.org/debian-dak/

Call for help: debbugs developers
=================================
debbugs is the piece of software behind the Debian Bugs Tracking System
(BTS). It is also used by the GNU project[1]. Despite often being
perceived as old-style, it features several unique features, such as the
tracking of the status of bugs in each version and branch of a package
(example: [2]), or the ability to perform all interactions via email,
making it very easy to work offline or in poorly-connected environments.

Debbugs is written in Perl, its source is available from [3], there is a
testing harness available, and lists of known bugs are available from
http://bugs.debian.org/bugs.debian.org
(Debian instance of debbugs) and
http://bugs.debian.org/debbugs
(debbugs itself). Direct questions to the
debian-debbugs@ mailing list[4].

[1] http://debbugs.gnu.org/
[2] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/version.cgi?info=1;absolute=0;collapse=1;found=iceweasel%2F2.0%2Bdfsg-1;fixed=iceweasel%2F23.0.1-1;package=iceweasel
[3] http://bugs.debian.org/debbugs-source/debbugs.git
[4] https://lists.debian.org/debian-debbugs/

Outreach Program for Women
==========================
Debian is participating in the GNOME Outreach Program for Women[1,2]. Many
thanks to Brian Gupta and Paul Tagliamonte for volunteering as OPW
coordinators. The list of proposed projects is available from Debian's OPW
page[3]. Please apply!
Also, a fundraising campaign will start in the very near future. Let's
all try to get many Debian participants.

[1] http://gnome.org/opw/
[2] https://wiki.gnome.org/OutreachProgramForWomen
[3] https://wiki.debian.org/OutreachProgramForWomen

Interview & talk
================
I gave an interview for the Frostcast podcast (by Jonathan Nadeau, who was
doing the This Week in Debian podcast some time ago):
mp3: http://frostbitemedia.org/sites/default/files/frostcast085-debian.mp3
ogg: http://frostbitemedia.org/sites/default/files/frostcast085-debian.ogg

I gave my first talk as the DPL to the general public at Open World Forum
2013[1]. Slides are available[2].

[1] http://www.openworldforum.org
[2] http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/?p=800

Assets
======
Authorizing expenses by DSA without prior DPL approval
A process to streamline small (FSVO small) expenses by Debian System
Administrators was announced[1]. It removes the DPL from the critical
path when buying replacement hardware, paying shipping costs, etc.

[1]