From: Lucas Nussbaum <leader <at> debian.org>
Subject: bits from the DPL - May 2013
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.debian.devel.announce
Date: Wednesday 5th June 2013 09:30:10 UTC (over 3 years ago)
Hi,

Here is the monthly report for my first full month as the Debian Project
Leader.

Reminder: DebConf13 is happening soon!
======================================
... in Vaumarcus, Switzerland. Most deadlines have passed now, but it is
likely that some free slots will still be available, so talk submissions
are
still possible (at least that's what I was told). A DebConf talk or BoF is
great way to expose your ideas about something you plan to do, and get
feedback.

Handling the Debian trademarks -- help needed!
There has been a lot of activity around the Debian trademark recently.
Following the publication of the Debian trademark policy[1], we are
receiving
a large number of trademark use requests. The trademark team (Brian Gupta
and
myself) can currently handle the load, but it would make sense to extend
the
team so that things stay sustainable on the long term. Ideally, new team
members would (quoting Brian):
> 1) Agree with the TM policy and understand that Debian's TM needs to
> be protected if we wish to have a TM
> 2) Understand TM law (or are interested in putting the time to learn)
> and willing to use the law to inform our decisions
> 3) Understand the Debian community, and the overall issues that face
> the Free Software community
> 4) A desire to be with the team for some reasonable amount of time.
> (I'd say a reasonable minimum tenure would look like 6-12 months)
> 5) Having some amount of time to commit. The time commitment is very
> difficult to factor at the moment, as the amount of emails trademark
> gets seems to be growing pretty fast now that our policy has been
> published, and the word about it's existence is spreading. Currently I
> can keep up with the flow, but if it keeps growing, it may become
> challenging. Also, at some point this may taper off.
Of course, that's "ideally", but strong willingness to learn about
trademarks
could be another motivation. Please contact me if you are interested.

[1] http://www.debian.org/trademark#policy

Debian official images for Cloud infrastructures
A discussion[1] started on debian-cloud@ about requirements to name
Debian images "official" (from the point of view of Debian). The discussion
is likely to continue, but I've documented the current state of those
requirements (or guidelines, at this point) at [2].

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-cloud/2013/04/msg00081.html
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DPL/OfficialImages

Collecting ideas from the DPL campaign
======================================
A huge brainstorming session usually happens during DPL campaigns, and this
year was no exception. Brian Gupta kindly went through the discussions and
organized pointers to the various ideas on [1]. Please contribute to
maintaining this page when ideas are raised (or raised again) on Debian
lists.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DPL/Ideas

Discussion of Debian sponsoring

expiration of debian-multimedia.org
===================================
debian-multimedia.org was an unofficial, popular repository of Debian
packages. After a discussion last year, the service moved to another
domain.
Debian offered to cover costs for the transfer of the debian-multimedia.org

domain to prevent it from expiring and falling into a domain squatter's
hands
(or worse).  Unfortunately, the debian-multimedia.org maintainer decided
not
to cooperate with Debian, and let the domain expire. The domain has now
apparently been registered again by someone unknown to Debian (TTBOMK).
This is a good example of the importance of the use of cryptography to
secure
APT repositories (and of the importance of not blindly adding keys).

Clarification of who receives leader@ email
This came up, so let me clarify:
I am the only one who gets email sent to leader@.
However:
- email sent to leader@ is archived, and will be readable by future DPLs
- after some anonymization if needed, I am likely to mention your mail in
my
  day-to-day log.
- there is a possibility that I share the content of your email with others

  (e.g. during a DPL helpers meeting) in an attempt to offload tasks.
There,
  again, I would apply reasonable anonymization if needed.
If you send me email and want me to keep it completely private for some
reason,
it is better to state this explicitely.

Delegations
===========
In order to clarify who are the current delegates, I listed all known and
active
delegates in [1] (based on the "Debian's Organizational structure" web
page[2], which is now up-to-date). I plan to revoke all non-listed
delegations
later in June. Note that this really should not make any difference for
active
delegations.

Related to that, I clarified that the hardware-donations@ alias is
managed by DSA, who should make sure that donations offers get answered,
by recruiting people to take care of that and consulting with porters and
build admins.

Ana Beatriz Guerrero López and Francesca Ciceri have also been delegated
as "Bits from Debian" editors. [2]

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2013/05/msg00014.html
[2] http://www.debian.org/intro/organization.en.html
[3] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2013/05/msg00012.html

Assets
======
I approved[1] the current DebConf budget[2].

[1] http://lists.debconf.org/lurker/message/20130530.120804.a104bd59.en.html
[2] http:[email protected]ch

DPL helpers meetings
====================
Meetings happened on 2013-05-14 [1] and 2013-05-28 [2] (agendas and logs
are available). The next meeting is on 2013-06-11 17:00 UTC on #debian-dpl.

[1] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=dpl/dpl-helpers.git;a=tree;f=meetings/20130514
[2] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=dpl/dpl-helpers.git;a=tree;f=meetings/20130528

Day-to-day log
As usual, my day-to-day log of DPL activities is
available on master:/srv/leader/news/bits-from-the-DPL.txt.201305

- Lucas

CD: 3ms