From: Neil McGovern <neilm <at> debian.org>
Subject: Bits from the release team - Freeze update
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.debian.devel.announce
Date: Thursday 8th November 2012 11:54:49 UTC (over 3 years ago)
Hi all,

It's been a while since there's been an update from the Release team, so
please
have a look at the below!

RC Bug count
------------
At the time of writing, we have 403 RC Bugs left that need your attention.
Once
this number gets lower, we will increase the usage of tags similar to last
release, making it clear which bugs will be ignored and which are blocking
the
release process.

Unblocks and Freeze Policy
--------------------------
We're also actively working on [email protected] to review
unblock requests.
Please remember to help the release team when requesting unblocks - we're
still
receiving requests which don't match the freeze policy. Remember - new
upstream
releases, large unrelated changes and changing packaging helpers not only
aren't acceptable at this time in the cycle, but slow us down and lead to
longer freeze times.

We're also reducing the acceptance criteria [RM:POLICY] - we're now only
going
to accept:
* fixes for release critical bugs (i.e., bugs of severity critical, grave,
and
  serious) in all packages;
* changes for release goals, if they are not invasive;
* fixes for severity: important bugs in packages of priority: optional or
  extra, only when this can be done via unstable;
* translation updates and documentation fixes that are included with fixes
for
  the above three criteria

Unblock requests themselves can also do with help - please have a look at
http://bugs.debian.org/release.debian.org,
help review changes, and post your
feedback to the bugs. To help with reviews, you are welcome to use the same
tools we use. For Debian Developers, you can log on to ries.debian.org and
run:
  PATH="/srv/release.debian.org/tools/scripts:$PATH" d
This should work for most packages, but some may not be synced over from
the
pool on ftp-master just yet.

Bug Squashing Parties
---------------------
We're also seeing many more BSPs than in previous releases, which is very
encouraging. They're a wonderful way to both fix RC bugs and encourage
others
to get involved with the release (and Debian in general). Since August,
BSPs
have fixed 71 bugs, downgraded 30 and had 16 closed by removals. We have
five
more coming up - Banja Luka, Republika Srpska on November 10th-11th, Munich
and
Essen, Germany and Tokyo, Japan on 23rd - 25th November and in Mechelen,
Belgium on 15th - 16th December.

However, please remember that BSPs alone are not enough to release Wheezy -
daily attention is needed to fix bugs, or the release simply will not
happen.

Debian Installer
----------------
We've good news also on the d-i front. Beta 3 was released recently and
beta 4
is in the works. We're hopeful that this, or a version shortly afterwards
will
be turned into RC1.

Package Removals
----------------
We've recently revived the practice of removing buggy leaf packages. We're
aiming at posting to -devel weekly a list of RC-buggy leaf packages which
we
intend to remove. The relevant maintainers are also copied on those mails.
Please keep an eye on those and avoid your own packages getting in the
list!
This activity helps, but we will be running out of leaf packages pretty
soon,
so this is no excuse to ignore the others! Usertags can be seen at
[BTS:RMTAG]

Future updates
--------------
We know we've been lagging in giving you updates. As you can see, we've
been
busy on other aspects of the release. We haven't forgotten you and we do
need
your help to release! To improve things, we'll try to keep you posted on a
regular basis in the future, even if only to tell you how the RC bug count
is
going and what the outlook is.

Neil, on behalf of the Release Team

[BTS:RMTAG] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=wheezy-will-remove;exclude=pending%3Adone;exclude=pending%3Aabsent;[email protected];tag=wheezy-will-remove;ordering=wheezy-sort