From: Bruce Perens <bruce <at> perens.com>
Subject: Please tone down the GPL3 paranoia
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.busybox
Date: Wednesday 13th September 2006 22:29:20 UTC (over 11 years ago)
Folks,

I think it would be supportive of the rest of the free software
community to tone down the GPL3 paranoia until there is a GPL3.

When I created Busybox, the policy was that it could be distributed
under the GPL. There was no restriction to prevent future versions of
the GPL. Over time, my work has been submerged in that of other authors.
But IMO it would be respectful of the original author to continue to use
those license terms.

Later on, when there is a GPL3, you may decide not to accept GPL3-/only/
submissions to this project's source code repository so that the GPL2
can continue to be applied  to the entire project. But I hope that when
that time comes, you will remember that much of the success of this
package can be attributed to the use of a strong share-and-share-alike
license rather than a license that would have allowed improvements to
the package to be locked down in some way.

    Thanks

    Bruce

CD: 3ms