From: Shane W <shane-alsa <at> csy.ca>
Subject: Re: Problems with HDMI audio on Intel DG45FC motherboard
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.alsa.user
Date: Sunday 11th October 2009 22:24:17 UTC (over 7 years ago)
Hi David,

Intel dg45id here so ymmv.

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 11:45:13PM +0200, David H?rdeman wrote:
> Channel mapping seems funky. I have a 5.1 speaker setup (though the
> receiver supports 7.1) and using "speaker-test -c 6" or "speaker-test
> -c8" with the hdmi output will generate output to the different speakers
> but not the intended ones. Speakers are connected correctly though

Unfortunately, this is a problem on all HDMI boards of
which I know. That is, Intel and Nvidia boards supporting
multichannel over HDMI have this issue. The only solution
which I've found here is to remap the surround51 playback
device via /etc/asound.conf.

pcm.!surround50 {
  type route
  slave.pcm hdmi
  slave.channels 6
  ttable {
    0.0= 1
    1.1= 1
    2.4= 1
    3.5= 1
    4.3= 1
  }
}

pcm.!surround51 {
type route
slave.pcm hdmi
slave.channels 6
  ttable {
    0.0= 1
    1.1= 1
    2.4= 1
    3.5= 1
    4.3= 1
    5.2= 1
  }
}

When mplayer encounters a 6 channel stream, it'll use the
surround51 device by default. You will want to check any
other players used.

> Each time a new audio starts playing, there seems to be a 50/50 chance
> of complete silence, meaning that for each track change while listening
> to music (for example), the entire track will either play or stay
> silent.

This is odd I've never had this happen. I do get a half
second of track skip between tracks so track transitions
sound pretty terrible but complete silence, perhaps a
developer will know what this is about. I wonder if the
skip between tracks and the silence problems are related.
IE, is the hardware reset on device open doing more harm
than good?

Shane

http://p.sf.net/sfu/devconference

CD: 3ms