From: Kyle Poole <kyle.poole <at> gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Wesnoth Apple App Store GPL violation?
Newsgroups: gmane.games.wesnoth.devel
Date: Sunday 11th July 2010 09:26:05 UTC (over 7 years ago)
> I want recipients of my software to receive all the benefits that I have
> received.  I want them to be able to mod, share and experiment with the
> software, and this is reflected in my preference for the GPL.

As a direct result of me spending more than 8 months fulltime working
on the iPhone port and publishing the source code, many other iPhone
projects have benefited from my work, not to mention improvements
which can be used for other Wesnoth branches such as Android, or
backported to the trunk. I think the spirit of GPL very much comes
through in the iPhone port.

> It's not really relevant *how* people are prevented from doing so, except
> to the questions "Does it matter?" and "Can I do anything to prevent
it?".

The only thing you are accomplishing is making me rewrite your code.
Damn you, selfish one!

> So, does it matter?  As a software developer, a machine on which the
owner
> cannot choose what software to create and run is anathema.  As a free
> software developer, a machine which restricts free software is
particularly
> disturbing.

As a software developer and believer in the spirit of GPL, a developer
that says "my GPL code should not be run on such-a-such device" is
anathema. If you didn't realize, GPL code is used in plenty of closed
devices, so this is not really an issue as far as the GPL is
concerned. There is nothing legally restricting you from modifying the
source code and redistributing it, the only point of contention is the
EULA of the binary that you download from the AppStore. Yes, legally
Apple can not impose further restrictions on your use of Wesnoth that
you downloaded, and we don't want them to. The intended EULA
information (GPL) is displayed in the game and should take precedence
over any default Apple EULA (that is not specifically agreed to when
you download this particular app). So instead of making a scene and
complaining about their platform (which is not the legal issue here)
can't you just assume that the GPL license can not be legally
overridden by Apple's EULA, and thus is in fact not?

Kyle

CD: 4ms