From: David White <davewx7 <at> gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Wesnoth Apple App Store GPL violation?
Newsgroups: gmane.games.wesnoth.devel
Date: Saturday 10th July 2010 06:06:35 UTC (over 6 years ago)
On 07/09/2010 09:55 PM, Rusty Russell wrote:

Hi all,

   A friend showed me Wesnoth on the iPad.  That's great, except that it
came
via the Apple App Store.  I didn't think that was allowed under the GPL?

 Hi Rusty,

Unlike the GNU Go release on the app store, which was not endorsed by the
maintainers of GNU Go, Wesnoth on the app store has been developed with the
endorsement of myself and the active Wesnoth development community.

We believed at the time that development began -- and still believe today
--
that we are acting within the GPL given the following factors:

 - The full source code is released and available.
 - It is entirely permissible for anyone to compile the game from source
and
distribute it using their own distribution mechanism to people with an
iPhone device. There may be some barriers to distribution but these
barriers
are entirely technical due to the "walled garden" nature of the iPhone.

It should be noted that release of Wesnoth on the app store has had some
significant benefits both for the Wesnoth community and for FLOSS gaming as
a whole:

 - Wesnoth has obtained significant revenue streams which have been used to
fund the development of art and other content in areas in which Wesnoth
needs improvement to compete with commercial offerings.
 - FLOSS gaming has been exposed to a significant audience which might be
otherwise unaware of it.
 - Other FLOSS games are now also interested in distribution on the same
platorm.

Regards,

David

CD: 2ms