From: Erik Hetzner <egh <at> e6h.org>
Subject: Re: Using org-mode for recipes (i.e. cooking)
Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.orgmode
Date: Wednesday 27th July 2011 05:00:17 UTC (over 5 years ago)

wrote:

> […]
>
> I wouldn't mind seeing this, either. I've looked for a while at trying
> to input my wife's recipes into something for her that would be
> printable/exportable into perhaps a small binder or card box or
> something. I've played around with gourmet with varying success but
> not been entirely happy. It's been buggy for me when it comes to
> printing.[1] At the very least, someone can try it out for it's
> converting/unit suggestions, as they are fantastic.
>
> Most here may work directly from org, but if recipes *are*
> implemented, an exporter or two for half-page or index card sizes
> would be *phenomenal.*

Hi,

I can’t help with printing (which would be nice). But I have put my
code on gitorious:

  https://gitorious.org/org-cook/org-cook

It currently does metric/english conversion, and a few other
tricks. Basically I just use calc’s units code. I think scaling
recipes, or turning percentages into weights would be pretty easy.

There is also, for those interested:

  https://gitorious.org/org-brew/org-brew

for brewing beer. This is again, mostly just calc functions, including
hydrometer correction, abv calculation, priming sugar for a given CO_2
volume, etc. More integration with org-mode should be possible: for
instance it would be nice to be able to use a lookup table (of
ingredients) to calculate target original gravity, IBUs, etc.

Any thoughts or pull requests on either are appreciated!

(Please do continue to CC me, as I read the list via gmane and may
miss messages.)

best, Erik

CD: 6ms