From: Jeff Horn <jrhorn424 <at> gmail.com>
Subject: [REQUEST] Calendar-view (was: Extended-period events in agenda views)
Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.orgmode
Date: Monday 1st November 2010 14:02:48 UTC (over 6 years ago)
On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 7:32 AM, Konrad Hinsen
 wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have been a happy org-mode user for a while, using more and more of
> org-mode for more and more things. By now I have completely replaced my
use
> of iCal (on the Mac) by the org-mode agenda, with no regrets. However,
there
> is one feature that I am still trying to get into my agenda view, but I
> didn't find a way to do it yet.
>
> There are a couple of long-lasting "events" that I would like to show in
my
> agenda view. A typical example would be school vacation periods, but
there
> are others: absences of a colleague, availability of some instrument,
etc,
> Their common feature is that they can last very long (several weeks) and
> that they don't really occupy my agenda. I just want to know when
planning
> something if a given day is in period X or not. So I'd like to see at a
> glance (using a specific font, color, one-letter prefix etc.) if a day
falls
> into a certain predefined period. Simply adding a corresponding event to
my
> agenda leads to visual clutter: it gets marked on every single day of the
> period.
>
> Is there any way to get what I am looking for?

+1 for this feature. Also, I think our desire for such a feature could
be met with a calendar-view, perhaps re-using some org-table or
org-columns source?

I'm envisioning I would very much like something akin to an ASCII
4-day calendar view (like the default Google Calendar view).

Even if we could line up four days' agenda views horizontally (with an
appointment-style timeline), I would find this useful.

--
Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics

(704) 271-4797

http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/