From: Stefan Vollmar <vollmar <at> nf.mpg.de>
Subject: arranging and publishing music with Org-mode and lilypond
Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.orgmode
Date: Saturday 2nd October 2010 22:26:39 UTC (over 6 years ago)
Dear all,

I believe that many members of this list with an interest in music
(notation/composition) might find the http://lilypond.org project "addictive" (in
the nicest possible manner): the concept is rather similar to writing TeX,
there is very good Emacs support (if you know where to look), it is all
OpenSource, there is extensive documentation (in LaTeX format with embedded
lilypond snippets), the print quality is excellent.

I mention this because while arranging some piece of music recently, I
noticed that Org-mode might be helpful in this context - it is probably
already possible by tweaking org-babel a bit: lilypond encourages the user
to structure music in a way that lends itself rather naturally to
processing with Org-mode - you can assign a theme, a few bar with notes or
even whole voices to variables and use them repeatedly. And imagine using
Org-mode's outline capabilities to structure a piece of music. Exporting an
org-file with lilypond-snippets in it to PDF or HTML might also be an
interesting option.

I have not yet put any effort into it and just wanted to find out if
anybody apart from me finds the combination of Org-mode and lilypond
(potentially) exciting.

Warm regards,
 Stefan
--