From: Austin Frank <austin.frank <at> gmail.com>
Subject: OT: smex.el (was Re: keys and command name info)
Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.orgmode
Date: Tuesday 10th August 2010 07:48:14 UTC (over 6 years ago)
On Mon, Aug 09 2010, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> I don't think anyone calls Org commands with M-x, and if a hacker
> needs to find a command name, `C-h b' and in particular `C-h k' are
> the perfect ways to get to the names.

I don't have a horse in this race, but I will note that I call Org
commands with M-x /all the time/.  There's just so much functionality
that even when keybindings exist I may not know them.  And of course I
don't use the menu because that would require reaching for the mouse ;)

For anyone else in this situation, I can't recommend strongly enough the
package smex.el (I get it from http://github.com/nonsequitur/smex/,
but
it's also in the Emacs Lisp Package Archive).  It offers ido-like
completion for function names.  For me, this makes the entire emacs
environment, but Org especially, much more discoverable via the M-x
interface.

HTH,
/au

--