From: Stefan Vollmar <vollmar <at> nf.mpg.de>
Subject: image link inconsistency in org-mode 6.36c
Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.orgmode
Date: Tuesday 8th June 2010 22:14:01 UTC (over 6 years ago)
Hi,

I have observed an inconsistency with handling image links in org-mode
6.36c, in particular with the caption-option. Here is a minimal org-file to
demonstrate my point:

file:image1.png
#+CAPTION: My Caption1.
file:image1.png
#+CAPTION: My Caption2.
[[file:image1.png]]

If displayed in org-mode, the image links all look the same. When exporting
to HTML, the first image is rendered as expected, the second instance will
be ignored and the third instance is displayed with a (combined!) caption
text of "My Caption1. My Caption2."

Using org-toggle-inline-images, only the last instances will yield an image
in Emacs. If one deletes the last line, org-toggle-inline-images comments
"No inline images to display".

The problem came up today, when we added a caption in an older org-mode
file which used the simple "file:"-syntax (no square brackets): the
previously working image vanished and the caption text was found many
paragraphs later in the next image caption (and only spotted by
coincidence).

This is potentially dangerous behaviour. As a consequence, we will change
all our image links to the "[[file:...]]" syntax which will solve the
problem for us.

However, I would suggest that the simple "file:"-syntax should no longer be
supported, except when explicitly enabled by a new flag (an option which
might be desirable for backward compatibility). Or is there some hidden
benefit in the "file:"-syntax other than being marginally shorter?

Warm regards,
 Stefan
--
Dr. Stefan Vollmar, Dipl.-Phys.