From: Jonathan Shea <jshea <at> dartmouth.edu>
Subject: Re: C-y - yanking the system clipboard, or the Emacs kill ring?
Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.macintosh.osx
Date: Tuesday 8th November 2005 17:54:16 UTC (over 11 years ago)
On Nov 8, 2005, at 12:02 PM, David Reitter wrote:

> I was wondering what people's preference is regarding C-y. Should
> it yank only the Emacs' internal clipboard, that is, the last
> copied or cut region of text? Or should it always use the system-
> wide clipboard, which means, allow pasting text copied from other
> applications.
>
> Right now, we have Apple-V (in Aquamacs), which does the latter: it
> pastes the system clipboard. Apple-C/X will copy into the Emacs-
> internal and the system-wide clipboard.
>
> I think it might be less confusing to make C-y act exactly like
> Apple-V. On the other hand, Emacs insiders might prefer to have
> both clipboards.

I was just this second thinking about that very question. My
preference is that the Apple-{key} commands work the same way as the
rest of OSX, and that the C-{key} work like classic emacs (and that
the rest of OSX not know about it.)

Similarly, I'd really like it if Apple-N opened a buffer in a new
window, while C-x C-f and the like opened a new buffer in the same
window.

I just found Aquamacs last night, and it's spectacular. I didn't go
to bed.

Thanks a ton.

-Jon