From: Eduardo Ochs <eduardoochs-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Workarounds for conflicting keys, and very short function names
Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.eev.devel
Date: Friday 21st March 2014 08:43:57 UTC (over 3 years ago)
Hi Alan, I thought you wouldn't mind if I brought this to the list in
a new thread...

writes:

> > Btw, can you tell me what are the worst conflicts of keys between eev
> > and the rest?...
>
> The one that bothered me most is M-j, which I'm using to join lines.

Here are two very quick workarounds while we don't have anything
better... The first one:

  (defalias 'e 'eev-mode)

`M-x e RET' turns eev-mode on and off, and you can see by the "eev"
lighter in the mode line whether it is on or off...

The second one:

  (defun eejump-7 () (my-join-lines))

supposing that your "join lines" function is in `my-join-lines'...
then while eev-mode is on you can use M-7 M-j to run
`my-join-lines'...

By the way I use one-letter function names often, so for me `M-x
letter RET' is very quick to type (because of practice!)... many of my
files have things like these near the top,

  % (defun c () (interactive) (find-sh "cd ~/LATEX/ && latex    foo.tex"))
  % (defun c () (interactive) (find-sh "cd ~/LATEX/ && pdflatex foo.tex"))
  % (defun d () (interactive) (find-xdvipage "~/LATEX/foo.dvi"))
  % (defun d () (interactive) (find-xpdfpage "~/LATEX/foo.pdf"))

where some of my conventions are: `c' to "compile", `d' for "display".
This is not documented yet... the template that I use to create new
LaTeX files with things like these at the top is in one of my personal
.emacs.something files - actually here, ugly and full of obsolete
stuff:

  http://angg.twu.net/.emacs.templates.html#find-dn4tex-links

I've thought about creating some sample functions like
`find-C-prog-links', `find-python-prog-links', `find-sh-prog-links',
`find-make-prog-links', etc, with these templates, mainly tailored for
students who are just beginning to play with these languages, but
never did that... shame on me!

  More later! Cheers,
    Eduardo

CD: 3ms