From: Nick Roberts <nickrob <at> snap.net.nz>
Subject: Re: Emacs-devel Digest, Vol 52, Issue 61
Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.devel
Date: Saturday 7th June 2008 22:14:09 UTC (over 9 years ago)
> Well, that's one way to put it.  An equally valid analysis would
 > be that -d ought to be the default rather than an option I've
 > never heard of before, and CVS is broken as designed.

I'm surprised that you've not heard of it because it's needed for updating
from
a CVS repository each time a new directory is added.  In recent years, for
emacs that has mean't org, erc, gnus, mh-e...

I'm not sure that it should be the default because using it with
repositories
which share source means that you pick up directories that you don't want,
e.g.,
gdb shares with binutils and if you do:

cvs checkout gdb 'sourceware url'     i.e. the gdb module
cd gdb
cvs up -d

you get the binutils directory.

I think these are the quirks of VCses with which we have to become
familiar.

I wonder how bzr handles new directories.  I'm sure it is better but, for
me,
CVS has the advantage of feeling like an old friend.