From: Thomas Caswell <tcaswell <at> gmail.com>
Subject: failure to properly insert citation for bibtex entries formatted with outer ()
Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.auctex.devel
Date: Tuesday 10th July 2012 04:25:31 UTC (over 5 years ago)
Hello,

This was discovered from a question on the tex stackexchange site

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/47443/enable-parentheses-bib-entry-with-reftex

To summarize the problem: if a bibtex file is formatted using ()
instead of {} for the outer most deliminator searching for citations
does not work.  The regular expressions correctly search for both {
and (, however in the syntax table the reftex.el defines () as
punctuation which makes the up-list call in reftex-extract-bib-entries
fail and the entry get skipped.

I have attached a patch that changes () back to deliminators in the
syntax table, however I am concerned that this will break something
else as I assume there was some reason they were made to be
punctuation to begin with.

Thomas Caswell

CD: 3ms