From: Uli Schlachter <psychon <at> znc.in>
Subject: [ANNOUNCE] awesome 3.5 released
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.window-managers.awesome.devel
Date: Friday 21st December 2012 23:54:51 UTC (over 4 years ago)

Hi everyone,

it's been a while. The last major release happened more than three years
ago.
However, even longer ago, a civilization known as the "Maya" predicted that
today a great pain will be brought to everyone (Don't trust the "Date"
header
of this mail or you will get a long and weird explanation about time zones
and
other weak excuses). Today is the day of thousand crys from users whose
config
broke. Today is the end. Welcome to the time after the end.

If you want to learn about what is new, read the summary in [0].

If you want to get a quick guide for porting your config to the new
version,
read [1].

If you want to party, grab a beer (or party without a beer, I don't mind).

If you go to 29c3, please tell me (and re-read the previous point).

If you are using arch linux, you will see this release on a computer near
you
very soon. Good luck.

Let's use this announcement to fight some FUD and do a quick (fake) Q&A
session:

- ------
Do I really have to do changes to my config? My config is almost identical
3.4's default config!

It's entirely impossible that your config will not break. Now read [1]
again.

- ------
How did awesome's dependencies change compared to 3.4?

Here is a quick and likely incomplete list.
Removed dependencies: libev, gperf, luadoc
New dependencies: lgi, ldoc, glib (at least version 2.30, sorry Renato)

- ------
I don't have lgi but awesome built fine. Are you sure it's needed?

Yes, I am. However, lgi is a runtime-only dependency. It is not needed for
building awesome at all. However, the lua code will do require("lgi") and
hell
will break lose if you don't have lgi (and gobject-intospection files for
cairo, Pango and PangoCairo).

- ------
What does "lgi" stand for anyway?

Lua GObject Introspection. GObject Introspection is a way for automatically
and easily generating language bindings for libraries implemented via
GObject.
Lua is a programming language. lgi gets us lua bindings to GObject. Awesome
needs this for cairo, Pango and PangoCairo (although cairo does not use
GObject, but you really do not want to know the details about why it still
works).

See [2].

- ------
What's up with lua 5.2?

Awesome should work fine with either lua 5.1 and 5.2. Both versions
shouldn't
cause any major headaches and you will *not* lose any feature due to your
lua
version. Contrary to popular belief, this means that the API documentation
built with ldoc can also be generated when you only have lua 5.1.

However, the build system still needs some love. It is only looking for
"liblua.so" or "liblua51.so" (and similar for the headers). So if you have
lua
5.2 and your distro puts this version number into paths and file names, you
might need some magic in your CMake call. Sadly, I can't tell you currently
which magic this is. A good starting point might be:

   make CMAKE_ARGS='-DLUA_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/include/lua5.2
- -DLUA_LIBRARY=/usr/lib/liblua52.so'

- ------
What happened to luadoc?

It was replaced with ldoc. This was needed because luadoc is incompatible
with
some internal changes. Also, ldoc is a lot better at producing useful error
messages than luadoc is. (Yes, ldoc works with both lua 5.1 and lua 5.2)

See [3].

- ------
I found a bug, what do I do now?

That's not a bug. It's just an unexpected feature / a easter egg / cosmic
rays
/ a butterfly moved its wing in a weird way / a magnetized needle moved
wrongly.

- ------
Will the world really end?

Yes

- ------
Will it blend?

No

- ------
Do these last three questions make any sense?

No, but I answered your weird questions anyway.

Cheers,
Uli

[0]: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.window-managers.awesome/9581
[1]: http://awesome.naquadah.org/wiki/Awesome_3.4_to_3.5
[2]: https://github.com/pavouk/lgi
[3]: https://github.com/stevedonovan/LDoc

awesome version 3.5 has been released. It is available from:

tar.xz: http://awesome.naquadah.org/download/awesome-3.5.tar.xz
md5: ce998f19c80bd98f8d119a91f53526df
sha1: 98b26904804067f1e995586204d1829c1a7b166b

tar.bz2: http://awesome.naquadah.org/download/awesome-3.5.tar.bz2
md5: 49782eabce5bcd4e6a83b2b314dad39d
sha1: d35402a09fd5900a7309eb9ee5f5350378029d49

number of changes
- -----------------
6

number of commiters
- -------------------
2

shortlog
- --------
Uli Schlachter (5):
      awful.widget.button: Fix name clash (FS#1064)
      naughty: Fix docs a little
      awful.placement.no_offscreen: Fix border handling (FS#1065)
      wibox button: Fix the x/y position in button events
      change codename

Daniel (1):
      Expose naughty.notifications again

diffstat
 awesomeConfig.cmake            |    2 +-
 event.c                        |    4 ++--
 lib/awful/placement.lua.in     |    6 +++---
 lib/awful/widget/button.lua.in |    4 ++--
 lib/naughty.lua.in             |   41
- --
"For saving the Earth.. and eating cheesecake!"

CD: 3ms