From: will <willg-kCrUpeWqBLNg9hUCZPvPmw <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: tagging for dummies?
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.web.pyblosxom.user
Date: Friday 22nd February 2008 17:27:02 UTC (over 9 years ago)
Not sure if this helps or not, but both tags and categories provide the
user with topic-focused views of your blog.  PyBlosxom has categories by
default.  You can consider categories to be a special-case of tags.
With categories, every entry belongs to one and only one category.  With
tags, every entry can belong to one or more tags.

For example, with categories I could write a blog entry about Oceans 11
and put it under a "movies" category in my blog.

With tags, I could tag that entry with "movies", but since the entry
talks about Oceans 11, I could also tag it with "goodmovies" because I
liked it and "GeorgeClooney" because I like writing entries about George
Clooney and this movie has him in it and also "LasVegas" because it
happens in Vegas and I write a lot of entries that talk about Las Vegas....

If I'm using categories, then a user looking at my blog sees the list of
categories I have and that's how they can navigate to topics they're
interested in.  This works for both HTML/browser-view templates as well
as RSS/feed type templates.

If I'm using tags, then a user looking at my blog can see the list of
all the tags that I've used and have a much finer-grain list of topics
my blog covers.  Assuming my use of tags is rich enough, the user has a
much higher chance of finding entries they're interested in without
wading through stuff they're not interested in.  Additionally, it's
easier for me as a blogger to tag all the entries that relate to a
specific topic like "Python" or "politics" or "New Hampshire" and thus
provide topic-specific views on my blog for these more specific topics.
  This also works for both HTML/browser-view templates as well as
RSS/feed type templates.

So...  the big question is if categories are a special-case of tags and
tags are more useful, why does PyBlosxom come with category support by
default and require plugins for tags support?  The issue here is that
PyBlosxom stores things on the file system and the directory of the
entry is the category which forces us into a one category per entry
invariant.

Akkana--does that help clear things up?

/will

 wrote:
>> Pete Goldsmith writes:
>
>>  That's a nice answer to the question "Why use tags?" But my
>>  question remains, "How do I add tags to my pybloxsom blog entries?
>>  What tag syntax do external search engines look for?"
>>
> To add tags in pyblosxom you use any plugin that add it, normaly it
> instructs that you add metada to it with:
>
> #metadata-name metadata-data
>
> So in every entry in my blog I add in the second line
> #tags tag1,tag2,tag3
>
> This is parsed by the plugin and used. Now to use your tags, the
> plugin must provide a way, for example the url:
> http://example.com/blog/tag1/ will
list all the entries marked with tag1.