From: Akai <open.standards.needed-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Latest Update/Direction
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.web.pyblosxom.devel
Date: Sunday 1st July 2012 21:56:00 UTC (over 5 years ago)
Whats been going on:

The migration to GitHub is mostly complete, all the files are hosted in
the right place and the old site redirects to the new one - but there is
the occasional pesky link that doesn't point to the right place. I think
I got the vast majority of them today.

Other than just keeping the site up and the project existing, I've been
doing some thinking as to what could make PyBlosxom better (besides
getting to the bug reports and pull requests, which I AM addressing).

It seems pretty apparent to me that our plugins are both one of the best
parts of PyBlosxom as well as our Achilles heel. They can be difficult
to choose from, configure and include, and they easily get out of date
and buggy.

If we had a central way of managing plugins which could handle the worst
of the heavy lifting if the user desired (finding the right plugin, the
right version and making sure it has all the dependencies and
configurations needed to run [like a package manager]) PyBlosxom could
be a lot more viable when compared to some of the other blog engines
mentioned earlier. It would have the added benefit of making the
documentation more accessible because it could display the relevant
parts during the install process.

Obviously, such an endeavor would require some design thinking for a
management interface as well as going though all the existing plugins to
test them, make sure they are fully documented and then integrating them
into such an interface - But that pretty much has to be done anyway to
at least some degree and I think it would pay off in usability, even if
we only included a fraction of the plugins we have accumulated into the
interface.

/Akai

Live Security Virtual Conference